14 Jan2007


You must be all thinking that Marketman has completely lost his diet marbles. What with all the high-calorie stuff being featured on the site, I should probably be about 80 pounds heavier than I am. And no, rest assured, I have not given up on the 170 pound Marketman/Bond Diet Goal for May 1, 2007. How could I let the 86% or so of readers who “bet” I could make it, down? And how could I pass on the chance to prove the 14% of naysayers wrong? Heehee. Actually, the recent holidays were rather interesting. Because there was SO MUCH activity, I actually maintained my weight for most of December then gained a few pounds after Christmas. From a high of about 192/193 sometime last year, I have lost a good 10 pounds so far; that takes into account the fact that your weight on a scale can fluctuate in a GIVEN day by as much as 3-3.5 pounds from the time you have woken up early morning, dehydrated, voided, and unbreakfasted, to the time you have had several meals, snacks, liquids, etc. and are plugged up. Now that things are settling down, I am focusing on eating better and less, but more importantly, ramping up the exercise…

When I had my blood tests last November, my cholesterol and other numbers were shockingly good. At the same time, I also had my entire crew undergo the same tests and their results were (with a couple of exceptions), shockingly bad. As my cardiologist put it “what the hell are you feeding everyone???” I shrugged innocently. So not only do I have to xcise1watch what I eat, but the entire household (except Mrs. MM and The Kid) is on a diet. As a Christmas present, I got the “house” a basic treadmill and let’s just say it has gotten an impressive amount of use in the past month or so; you almost have to book your preferred schedule. I used to walk around our village at a brisk pace for 40 minutes and would barely break a sweat. Now I walk at a slight incline and with some resistance on a non-electrical treadmill for 10 minutes (just enough to listen to the long song “Love Generation” by Bob Sinclair, that funky upbeat song from the World Cup, that I have blaring on the stereo while I exercise) and probably burn as many calories in less time. Then I try to workout at home a couple of times a week as well… Will have to pick up my tennis racket again soon. I am not so much going for Schwarzenegger, just removal of visible and palpable fat deposits all over my body. Throw in a small investment in some newer clothes that fit (meaning no airspace between skin and fabric) and voila(!), many folks think I ain’t doing so bad! In fact, that digital number in Bond blue isn’t the number of seconds before a huge James bomb explodes, it was the actual weight of Marketman this morning at 5:30 am before I had breakfast and devoid of additional non-human weight (watch, etc.). I just broke 180, and I am grinning all the way to some outrageously fatty lunch at a fastfood joint of The Kid’s choice… In the days ahead, I will feature some of the healthier things I am eating these days…



  1. odette says:

    I will be looking forward to all those healthier food stuff that you will be posting. Losing weight is my ultimate goal for this year. I visited my doctor last week and she congratulated me for losing 2 lbs (talk about encouragement.) I was surprised by her reaction because i think 2 lbs is insignificant. After reading your post however, i realized that i should be proud of the 2 lbs, considering that i shed that weight off during the holidays and that i went to my doctor just an hour after i had lunch. I think i lost more than 2 lbs ..heehee

    Jan 14, 2007 | 10:42 am


  2. Notice: Undefined variable: oddcomment in /home/marketman/marketmanila.com/wp-content/themes/marketmanila-v2/comments.php on line 33
  3. Kulasa says:

    Go go go!

    Jan 14, 2007 | 10:52 am

  4. Kieran says:

    Congratulations! Good luck on the last 9.8 lbs.

    Jan 14, 2007 | 11:57 am

  5. asunta says:

    count the 14% as motivation to prove us wrong. as i told my dh that if you really want it can be done. oh and by the way what will be the reward if you make it? another eb?… just wondering out loud.

    Jan 14, 2007 | 2:06 pm

  6. mel says:

    hi! where did you buy your digital scale?

    Jan 14, 2007 | 5:36 pm

  7. chinkee says:

    Congratulations! The 1st item on my list of New Year’s resolutions is to exercise more. It’s basically 2 weeks into 2007 but i still haven’t gotten around to it. Perhaps Bob Sinclair can help me out too. Thanks for sharing!

    Jan 14, 2007 | 5:52 pm

  8. Marketman says:

    mel, it was a gift. I don’t think it was purchased here…

    Jan 14, 2007 | 6:03 pm

  9. cindy says:

    Congratulations Market man! You’re an inspiration to shed off the holiday gain!I like you basic treadmill—where can i buy that, and, if you don’t mind my asking, how much does it go for? Thanks :)

    Jan 14, 2007 | 7:10 pm

  10. Marketman says:

    cindy, many of the sports/health stores sell these Made in China type magnetic treadmills. I got this on sale for about PHP7,000. Make sure the one you buys has a 1 year warranty for parts and service.

    Jan 14, 2007 | 8:43 pm

  11. wysgal says:

    Best of luck with the weight-loss program. Fitness is always a noble self-improvement goal, with the added bonus of fitting into your clothes better . =)

    Jan 14, 2007 | 9:54 pm

  12. misao says:

    this is just great! i’ve been following your posts for several months now (almost a year, i think). but i’d be more of a regular now that you’re gonna feature healthier foods. i’m trying to lose around 12-15lbs in six to nine months. and hopefully, i’d maintain it. more power!

    Jan 14, 2007 | 10:57 pm

  13. Jacob's Mom says:

    Hi, MM! I’m trying to lose weight too. Four pounds so far. Finally convinced the hubby to buy me an elliptical. I have *such* a poor track record for sticking with an exercise regimen so he thought this was just a passing fancy. :) Anyway, I’ve found that I can burn more calories on the elliptical than the treadmill, in the same amount of time! Just thought I’d share that tidbit. :)

    Jan 15, 2007 | 3:09 am

  14. honey says:

    MM, have you tried yacon? It looks like camote but tastes like sweet singkamas. Good for dieters as it makes you feel full. Great taste too. I saw some in Shopwise Cubao. Sells for Php50 a kilo.

    Jan 15, 2007 | 12:36 pm

  15. Marketman says:

    honey, I have tasted yacon but never purchased it. Do you eat it raw like singkamas or cook it as well? Jacob’s Mom, is an elliptical like a stairmaster thingee? Misao, good luck with the targets! I think all reasonable goals are doable if one puts their mind to it…

    Jan 15, 2007 | 1:13 pm

  16. tulip says:

    I hate Camote so I’ve been incorporating(on & off) Yacon in my diet for almost 6 months. I eat it raw, sometimes cooked and add it to salads.

    Jan 15, 2007 | 1:37 pm

  17. Mandy says:

    i love “love generation”! they play it in our cosmic cycling (aka spinning) class sometimes. although last dec and these past couple of weeks, i have not gone to exercise. i must get on that bike soon. and i should have my blood chem tested. i might be like one of your crew with bad results!

    i heard from a friend who’s lost weight a lot that she would eat one citrus fruit before her meal. if it’s green daw, it’s better. usually she’d have an orange, but when she’s here in the philippines, she’d have a dalandan. she really has slimmed down. must be all that fiber?

    Jan 15, 2007 | 10:29 pm

  18. honeygirl_ph says:

    i like eating the yacon raw on its own. ihaven’t tried yet, but i know it can be made into a salad.i guess it can be cooked but i think cooking it will detract the sweet, fresh taste

    Jan 16, 2007 | 12:34 am

  19. Maria Clara says:

    Great motivation and goals for the coming year! We have to take care of our health.

    Jan 16, 2007 | 1:03 am

  20. allen says:

    you already look good!

    Jan 16, 2007 | 11:27 am


Market Manila Home · Topics · Archives · About · Contact · Links · RSS Feed

site design by pixelpush

Market Manila © 2004 - 2021