Right after Victor finished demonstrating how his version of dinuguan was cooked, I decided to make a slightly different version with the remaining half of the innards. I started much the same way Victor did, using pork lard, sauteeing garlic onions and chopped green chilies. However, I omitted the green onions and added a touch of minced ginger instead. So if you check this earlier post, the early steps are nearly identical.
However after reading several recipes and watching this dish being cooked, I decided to try making a pork broth with lots of lemongrass. This aromatic broth was heady with aroma and flavor. This was then used in the dinuguan. Once the aromatics had sweated, I added in the finely minced internal organs, and unlike Victor, I added about a cup or more of minced blanched pig’s liver. I then added some of my stock and let this simmer for a few minutes. Then we added a few tablespoons of kikkoman, some salt and some more vinegar, three bay leaves and freshly cracked black pepper. Once this had boiled down a few minutes, we added a cup and a half of blood, and stirred until cooked. Oops, I forgot to mention somewhere in between we threw in whole green chilies as well.
The final product was a bit watery “malasaw” as I added too much broth or didn’t let it cook down enough. However, it still tasted pretty good, albeit now with that noticeable addition of liver. The chilies were uncharacteristically mild and I was a bit disappointed that despite the chopped and whole chilies, the dish lacked kick. I also noticed that maybe we had scrimped on the blood, since I was concerned I would run out — the second version is on the right in the photo up top, Victor’s version on the left. Another half cup of blood would have thickened up the sauce nicely. But I think my invented pork and lemongrass broth was a positive thing for the overall dish.
We intentionally froze part of this portion and I brought it to Manila where it was heated up at home and it looked wonderful the second time around. Next up, a really pleasant result from another dinuguan experiment… :)