Last week one of the crew traveled to Cebu for the day to deliver some important documents, that could not be sent by commercial courier, and run some errands. On his way home, he brought some precious cargo… 4 kilos of freshly made and packed daing na danggit, 10 kilos of pomelos and some fresh tuba (fermenting coconut sap) for some torta recipes I have been laboring with. Turns out tuba is NOT allowed on flights out of Cebu, even as checked in luggage, so other arrangements had to be made. Suffice it to say the bottle of tuba was in our kitchen the next day, and the less I know about its journey, the better. :) A few days later, some danggit was fried up for breakfast and this is what was found in one of the pieces of crisped up fish… a pretty wicked looking staple wire!
I have railed against the use of staple wires in general before, and in food packaging in particular as well, so this is just proof positive that staples have no place near any food items. I doubt that the acids in your stomach are strong enough to dissolve a staple wire assuming you managed to swallow it without feeling it. I know of someone who accidentally swallowed a cocktail toothpick while eating pica-pica in a more than slightly inebriated state, and the toothpick got lodged in his intestine and he subsequently required a fairly serious operation to remove it. So for all those folks manufacturing, packaging and selling food items, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE eliminate staples from your arsenal of materials! These danggit were purchased at a wholesale market in Cebu, so it’s hard to go back and give them a piece of my mind or to identify the actual supplier who may have caused this… but trust me, if I ever buy a food item at a store, bazaar, etc. with a branded name or where I recall the proprietor, I will definitely raise a stink. :( And all intelligent consumers should do the same. Avoid any food items packaged with the use of staple wires.