It’s that weekend again when 2,000 Ironmen and Ironwomen descend on Cebu City to swim a couple of kilometers, bike close to 100 kilometers and run a marathon, all on the same day. I salute all of you, as that is something I simply never aspire to do. :)
But should you need to load up on carbohydrates, proteins and other goodies, we have shored up our supplies and added to our stocks of backyard-raised piggies to serve you at five locations identified in the advertisement that will appear in the Cebu Sunstar tomorrow, Saturday.
A couple of suggestions for participants and their families and friends who will be in Cebu over the weekend and many restaurants will probably be crazed…
1. If you can, head into the city to get to either the Zubuchon branches at IT Park, Escario Central or Mango Avenue for a more comfortable meal and a wider menu selection. It may be a 20-30 minute ride from your hotels in Mactan, but hopefully there won’t be a wait for a table or it will be a shorter wait than at our tiny Mactan branch.
2. All outlets take NO RESERVATIONS to try and accommodate the most number of guests, but please feel free to call ahead to ask branch staff if there is an expected wait or if there are several tables empty and waiting.
3. The Islands Stay branch at Mactan will also be selling simple lechon and rice takeaway meals on race day, during the day, for spectators and others who happen by, in addition to being open to serve meals.
4. Our Islands Stay branch will be OPEN THROUGH THE NIGHT on Saturday, August 3 ONLY, so that some participants can get their breakfast at 2-3am before the big race. We will be one of the few restaurants open to feed race participants in the wee hours of Sunday.
5. If you wish to take home lechon to Manila after your visit to Cebu, we have a small stall inside the pre-departure lounge of the Mactan Domestic Terminal. We are doing our darndest to keep it stocked with fresh and frozen lechon late on Sunday and all of Monday when folks tend to return to Manila and their other destinations.
6. It’s an insider tip for Marketmanila.com regulars — at the Mactan airport, try our Boneless Sandwich, chopped boneless lechon with sriracha and hoisin sauce in a batard baked by Artisan C — that’s what I get when in transit. :)
7. For pasalubongs, try our chicharon and deep-fried peanuts with chicharon bits and garlic. The latter is my current favorite snack under the guise that nuts are good for you… Of course ours are fried, so I am not sure who I am fooling. :)
Marketman and the whole Zubuchon Team wishes all of you a successful, safe and personal best race on Sunday!